Dog Care Information from an
Award-Winning Canine Health Writer!
Just brought home a new four-legged bundle of joy?
Trying to help your senior dog stay in top shape?
Thinking about taking the plunge into pet parenthood?
Already have a canine companion, and want information to help keep him or her happy and healthy?
If you answered "yes" to any of the above, then you've come to the right place!
As an award-winning canine health writer and author, I know that raising your furry kid is a big responsibility and commitment.
I also know that there is no joy greater than the experience of sharing life with a happy, healthy, bouncing ball of fur who loves you unconditionally. Who else is going to greet you at the door when you come home - tail wagging, just ready to smother you with big, wet kisses?
For all he or she gives to you, your fur-child deserves the very best in return. That's why I give you tons of solidly researched information, advice and tips you can trust on important topics, such as:
....and much more!
You can even Ask a Vet
your non-emergency medical questions for much
less than the price of an office visit!
This site is inspired by and dedicated with love to my own precious four-legged baby, Chase, who I adopted from our local no-kill animal shelter on January 6, 2002. (Yes, that's us!)
I know that you've had - and will have - many unforgettable moments raising your own furry kid.
You'll probably have plenty of questions along the way, too.
As an award-winning canine health care writer, contributor to many of the top national magazines and monthly health columnist for Dog Fancy magazine, as well as a Reiki Master Teacher and animal activist, I've got plenty of information to share. Dogs are my life, and researching and writing about keeping them healthy and happy is my passion. I hope that you benefit from this information as much as I do every day.
- The Happy Dog Blog
- The Happy Dog Blog keeps you up-to-date on how to have a happy, healthy dog - naturally. From dog adoption to caring for your dog, it’s all here! Subscribe now.
- Ask a Vet Your Dog Health Questions: It's Simple, Quick and Affordable
- Do you have a nagging (non-emergency) question about your dog's health? Is he (or she) displaying a symptom you'd like advice about? Just ask a vet online and get a quick and affordable answer....
- Common Dog Illnesses: How to Identify and Treat them
- Identifying dog illnesses is crucial, but not always easy. It is important to know how to monitor your dog's behavior for clues to his health so you can get immediate treatment if something is wrong.
- Dog First Aid Basics: Being Prepared Could Save Your Dog's Life.
- Would you know what to do if your dog faced a medical emergency? If you're not prepared with the proper dog first aid, your dog could lose his life.
- Holistic Treatments for Dogs: Three Cutting-Edge Treatments that Can Help Your D
- These three new holistic treatments for dogs can help your canine companion regain his health and vitality....
- Dog Vaccinations: Are too Many Hurting Your Dog?
- Certain dog vaccinations are necessary for your dog's health. But too many vaccinations, too often, can be a recipe for disaster. Find out if your dog is being over-vaccinated....
- Holistic Healing for Dogs: A Whole Body Approach to Canine Wellness
- Holistic healing for dogs takes a "whole body" approach to canine wellness, rather than just looking at each symptom individually. Learn how your dog can benefit from a holistic approach to wellness..
- Reiki for Dogs: Energy Healing for the Body, Mind and Spirit
- Reiki for dogs is gentle and non-invasive, yet yields powerful results for the body, mind and spirit. Learn more about how your canine companion can benefit from Reiki....
- Canine Homeopathy v. Conventional Medicine: Get the Facts
- Canine homeopathy is system of treatment that falls under the umbrella of holistic healthcare. Homeopathy treats the underlying disease, not just the symptoms. Read more about this natural treatment.
- Natural Flea Repellents: Stop Poisoning Your Pets with Toxic Flea Products
- If you're using toxic chemical flea and tick products, you could be poisoning your pet. Fortunately, there are natural flea repellents that are safe and effective....
- Senior Dog Health
- Senior Dog Health: Learn the ins and outs of geriatric dog care.
- New Born Puppy Care: A Health Care Guide for Your Puppy's First Year
- New born puppy care can be scary. Read on to learn everything you need to know to keep your puppy healthy in his first year....
- Dog Food Safety: You Won't Believe What's in Your Dog's Food
- Dog food safety is a very serious subject. Unfortunately, you cannot trust your dog's nutrition to the commercial pet food industry. Read the shocking truth about what's in your dog's food.
- Common Toxic Foods for Dogs: Knowing them can Save Your Dog's Life
- Many foods we enjoy are toxic foods for dogs. Find out which foods are poisonous for your canine companion....
- Raw Diet for Dogs: Demystifying the Raw Food Diet
- A raw diet for dogs has become increasingly popular over the last few years. Read on to find out if it's right for your furry friend....
- Raw Frozen Dog Food
- raw frozen dog food
- Common Dog Toxins: Knowing Them Can Save Your Dog's Life
- Dog toxins are everywhere. Some are obvious, but many are not. Many, such as common foods we eat, look innocent enough, but they can be deadly to your dog....
- Dog Names: Tips to Choose the Perfect Name for Your Pooch
- Choosing the right name for your dog is important, as you'll both have to live with it for many years to come. For help choosing dog names, check out the tips in this article....
- Adopt a Dog: How to Find Your Best Friend and Save a Life!
- Adopt a dog and save a life. Millions of animals are put to death each year because they don't have a home. Here are tips on choosing your perfect shelter pet....
- Dog Adoption Websites: Your New Best Friend is Just a Click Away
- About 2 million dogs end up at shelters every year, in desperate need of a home. For more information on how you can give a shelter dog a second chance, check out these dog adoption websites....
- The Best Dog Toys: Tips to Choose the Best Toys for Your Dog
- Dogs love their toys! The best dog toys meet your dogs mental, emotional and physical needs. Here are the keys to choosing the safest, most entertaining toys for your furry friend....
- Free Online Dog Clothes Patterns
- Do you love to knit or crochet and are looking for some great free online dog clothes patterns? Click here for tons of great patterns -- all for free!
- Harley Davidson Dog Clothes
- Dress your dog in hog style! Check out these resources for Harley Davidson dog clothes.
- Dog Lover T-shirts: Hip Tie-Died T-shirts, Camis & More
- If you love dogs and want to look cute and hip, check out these cool dog lover t-shirts from Shirley and Me....
- Dog Communication: Do You Know How to Speak Dog?
- Learning the basics of dog communication is very important. By understanding what our dogs are "saying" to us, we can deepen our bond with them - and avoid misunderstanding.
- Traveling with a Dog: How to Make it Safe and Fun for Everyone
- Traveling with a dog can be a lot of fun, and a great bonding experience. But to ensure your pet's safety takes preparation and planning. Read on for tips to make Fido's trip safe and enjoyable....
- Dogs and Kids: Tips to Create Harmony and Avoid Tragedy
- Dogs and kids can be a wonderful combination, or they can be a tragedy waiting to happen. Learn how to create a safe, harmonious living environment for your children and your dogs....
- Careers with Dogs: Love Dogs? Find out About Rewarding Careers with Canines.
- Now more than ever, a whole host of interesting and rewarding careers with dogs are available. Many of these even offer flexible and even distance education training. Read on for more information.
- Hemopet Animal Blood Bank: Rescued Greyhounds Give Blood to Save Other Dogs
- Hemopet, which was established in 1991 by Dr. W. Jean Dodds, is the first private, not-for-profit animal blood bank. Learn more about Hemopet's unique rescue-donor-adoption program....
- About Me and the Dog who Rescued Me
- This About Me page will tell you how I became so passionate about dogs, and am dedicating my life to making sure that as many as possible are happy and healthy.
- Contact Us
- Contact us with your questions or comments. We want to know what you think!
- Share This Site! There's Plenty of Great Dog-Care Information to go Around!
- Share this site so that other caring dog parents can have access to helpful information, advice and tips to choose and raise a healthy, happy canine companion.
- My SBI Story for The Happy Dog Spot
- The My SBI story page will tell you how I'm using Site Build It! to create and market my Web site with no knowledge of Web design, programming or Internet marketing. I highly recommend SBI!
- Disclaimer of The Happy Dog Spot
- Please read the Disclaimer for The Happy Dog Spot carefully.
- August 2011 Dog Photo Contest: Enter Your Canine Comedian to Win a Great Prize!
- Is your dog a canine comedian? Then enter our August 2011 dog photo contest for the chance to win Funniest Fur-Kid of the month. Your dog will win a spot on our home page and a great prize!
- October 2010 Dog Photo Contest: Enter Your Pooch to Win a Great Prize!
- Is your dog a canine comedian? Then enter our October 2010 dog photo contest for the chance to win Funniest Fur-Kid of the month. Your dog will win a spot on our home page and a great prize!
- September 2010 Dog Photo Contest: Enter Your Pooch to Win a Great Prize!
- Is your dog a canine comedian? Then enter our September 2010 dog photo contest for the chance to win Funniest Fur-Kid of the month. Your dog will win a spot on our home page and a great prize!
- August 2010 Dog Photo Contest: Enter Your Pooch to Win a Great Prize
- Is your dog a canine comedian? Then enter our August 2010 dog photo contest for the chance to win Funniest Fur-Kid of the month. Your dog will win a spot on our home page and a great prize!
- July 2010 Dog Photo Contest: Enter Your Pooch to Win a Great Prize
- Is your dog a canine comedian? Then enter our July 2010 dog photo contest for the chance to win Funniest Fur-Kid of the month. Your dog will win a spot on our home page and a great prize!
- October 2009 Dog Photo Contest: Enter Your Pooch to Win a Great Prize!
- Is your dog a canine comedian? Then enter our October 2009 dog photo contest for the chance to win Funniest Fur-Kid of the month. Your dog will win a spot on our home page and a great prize!
- Newborn Puppy Care Guide: A Health Care Timeline for Your Puppy's First Year
- New born puppy care can be scary. Follow this newborn puppy care guide to keep your puppy healthy throughout his first year....
- November 2011 Dog Photo Contest: Enter Your Dog to Win a Great Prize!
- Is your dog a canine comedian? Then enter our November 2011 dog photo contest for the chance to win Funniest Fur-Kid of the month. Your dog will win a spot on our home page and a great prize!
JOIN ME OVER AT PET FOOD DIVA!
Do you want a vibrantly healthy, happy pet? Do you want to save unnecessary money on veterinary bills and foods that are creating chronic illness?
Then hop on over to my new pet nutrition web site and blog,
Pet Food Diva!
This site is the result of more than three years researching and writing about pet nutrition and is based on the new science of nutrigenomics, which is how foods communicate with cells to create optimum health or chronic disease.
Each week, we'll have new articles, videos or interviews on a fascinating new pet food topic based on the principles of nutrigenomics.
And be sure to sign up for my weekly email tips and receive an awesome free gift from me!
It's all waiting for you over at
PET FOOD DIVA!